These exquisite placemats are carefully crafted using an intricate handwoven patterning technique, giving them a rich texture, and curated feel. A special 'clasped weft' weaving method is used to create the distinctive zigzag chevron pattern.
They are made from two unique types of fiber:
- Ceranchia wild silk, which is a species of silk only found in Madagascar. The golden textured yarn is the natural, undyed color of the wild silk.
- Natural, undyed raffia which has a smooth satin-like sheen.
These beauties are sure to give an earthy elegance to your home, bringing warmth and interest to your space.
- Sold in set of two
- Measures 14”x19” (the length includes 2" tassels on each end)
- Handwoven Ceranchia wild silk and raffia
- Handmade from start to finish in Madagascar
- Slight variations in size and color due to the handcrafted process
- Eco-friendly and Fair Trade Certified
These art pieces were sustainably sourced and made in Madagascar by SEPALIM, a poverty alleviation NGO in northeastern Madagascar that invests in local leadership, community ownership and linking these partners to global markets. 100% of the profits from Tanana are returned to our team in Madagascar.
Washing instructions: Spot clean with cool or warm water, lay flat to dry, steam iron if desired.
We assembled a set (runner plus 4 placemats) as a house gift for friends who hosted us in their home for a few days. The pieces were beautifully made, nicely packaged, and warmly received. We have an older style in our own home and they are easy to clean and make a striking table setting.